The Woman’s Clubhouse was built in 1889 as an orphanage by local builder Joseph Hipskind and then in 1903 became the first hospital for the community. In 1930, after the construction of a new hospital, the woman of the area took over the preservation of the building as a place to meet and offer programs for the civic and social needs in Wabash. After 75 years, in the Spring of 2006, the Woman’s Association decided they must close the doors and disband which put the building in jeopardy of being torn down. However, there was a great deal of sentiment in Wabash for the Clubhouse. The community rallied behind an effort to raise funds for the historic building and the new and expanded activities of the Association. The Woman’s Clubhouse has regained community interest with a membership of 400 to 500 people. According to our records for the past 3 years, an average of 500 people from the community, use the facility each month. We can proudly say we are 1 of 3 historically recognized, continually active Woman’s Clubhouses in the state of Indiana.
WHAT WE DO
"Preserving The Past While Serving The Future"
The Clubhouse strives to be a place for all people of our community to gather. We provide programs that meet the many changing interest of the community and a space for many activities at a very reasonable or even free rate. Our yearly philanthropic program is called STAR and it provides books and stuffed animals to all Head Start children. We provide a free space for the elderly to meet for social and recreational activities weekly. The Board of WCH, on behalf of the Membership, provides free programs, special events and social activities throughout the year for the community. We try to recognize the special talents of people within the community and our membership and use their talents to help them and the Clubhouse become all it can be.